• Kleinhüningerstrasse 149, 4057 Basel, Schweiz
  • Mon-Fr: 8:00 - 18:00
  • +41 61 588 07 38

List of Documents for Moving to Switzerland from Europe: A Guide from Classic Umzüge

Moving to Switzerland from Europe can be an exciting yet complex process. Whether you’re relocating for work, study, or a fresh start, it’s crucial to have all the necessary documents and information in order. This guide from removals in Basel Classic Umzüge will help you navigate the requirements, from registration and healthcare to finding housing and schools. Let’s ensure your transition to Switzerland is smooth and stress-free.

Checklist of documents needed for moving to Switzerland
Checklist of documents needed for moving to Switzerland

Documents Needed for Moving to Switzerland

When moving to Switzerland, having the right documents is essential to ensure a seamless relocation. Here are the key documents you need to prepare:

  • Valid Passport/ID Card: Ensure your passport or ID card is up-to-date and valid for the duration of your stay.
  • Residence Permit Application: Required for stays longer than three months. Submit your application to the local cantonal migration office.
  • Employment Contract: Necessary if you are moving for work. This document will also be required when applying for your residence permit.
  • Proof of Accommodation: A rental agreement or property ownership document is needed to show you have a place to live in Switzerland.
  • Financial Proof: Bank statements or proof of income to demonstrate you can support yourself financially while in Switzerland.
  • Health Insurance Proof: Switzerland requires all residents to have health insurance. You must provide proof of insurance coverage.

Where to Register

Upon arriving in Switzerland, you must register with the local authorities within 14 days. This process involves the following steps:

  • Visit the Local Resident Registration Office: Also known as the Einwohnerkontrolle or Control des habitants, this office is where you will complete your registration.
  • Submit Required Documents: Bring your passport/ID card, residence permit application, employment contract, proof of accommodation, and a passport-sized photo.
  • Receive Your Residence Permit: After processing your registration, you will receive your residence permit, which is necessary for your stay in Switzerland.

How to Apply for the Swiss Healthcare System

Health insurance is mandatory in Switzerland. Here’s how to apply:

  • Choose a Health Insurance Provider: Research and select a health insurance company. Comparis and other online comparison tools can help you find the best option.
  • Complete the Application Form: Provide personal details, such as your name, address, and date of birth, along with your residence permit information.
  • Submit Proof of Insurance: Once you receive confirmation of your health insurance, submit proof to the local authorities as part of your registration process.
  • Understand the Healthcare System: Familiarize yourself with the Swiss healthcare system, including the basic (mandatory) insurance coverage and any additional supplemental insurance you might need.

Where to Find an Apartment

Finding an apartment in Switzerland can be competitive, but there are several resources to assist you:

  • Online Portals: Websites like Homegate, Immoscout24, and Comparis offer extensive listings of available properties.
  • Real Estate Agencies: Local real estate agencies can provide personalized assistance in finding a suitable apartment.
  • Company Relocation Services: If you’re moving for work, check if your employer offers relocation assistance, which often includes help with finding housing.
  • Housing Cooperatives: Consider joining a housing cooperative (Wohnbaugenossenschaft), which can provide access to affordable and community-oriented housing options.

How to Find a School or Kindergarten

Switzerland offers a range of educational options, from public schools to international institutions. Here’s how to find the right school for your child:

  • Public Schools: Local public schools are free and offer high-quality education. Contact your local education office to enroll your child.
  • International Schools: For expatriates, international schools like the International School of Basel provide curricula in English and other languages. Visit the school’s website or contact them directly for enrollment information.
  • Kindergartens: Public kindergartens (Kindertagesstätten) are available for younger children. You can find information and enroll your child through the local municipality.
  • Private Schools: Private schools offer alternative educational approaches and smaller class sizes. Research options online and contact the schools for admissions details.

Is There Any Social Help?

Switzerland offers various social services and assistance programs to support residents:

  • Unemployment Benefits: If you lose your job, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits, provided you have been contributing to the social security system.
  • Family Allowances: Families with children can receive financial support through family allowances (Kinderzulagen). Apply through your employer or cantonal family allowance office.
  • Social Assistance: If you face financial difficulties, you can apply for social assistance from the local social services office. This support ensures you can meet basic living expenses.
  • Integration Services: Many cantons offer integration programs to help newcomers adapt to Swiss life, including language courses and cultural orientation sessions.


Moving to Switzerland from Europe requires careful preparation and organization. By ensuring you have all the necessary documents, registering with local authorities, securing health insurance, finding housing, and enrolling your children in school, you can make your transition as smooth as possible. Removals in Basel Classic Umzüge is here to assist you every step of the way, offering expert advice and support for a stress-free relocation to Switzerland.

FAQs about moving to Switzerland

What documents do I need to move to Switzerland? You need a valid passport/ID card, residence permit application, employment contract, proof of accommodation, financial proof, and health insurance proof.

Where do I register upon arriving in Switzerland? Register at the local resident registration office (Einwohnerkontrolle or Control des habitants) within 14 days of arrival.

How do I apply for Swiss health insurance? Choose a health insurance provider, complete the application form, submit proof of insurance to local authorities, and understand the basic and supplemental coverage.

Where can I find an apartment in Switzerland? Use online portals like Homegate and Immoscout24, contact local real estate agencies, check with your employer for relocation assistance, or consider housing cooperatives.

How do I enroll my child in a school or kindergarten? Contact local education offices for public schools, research international schools for expatriates, enroll in public kindergartens through the municipality, or consider private schools.

Is there social help available in Switzerland? Yes, Switzerland offers unemployment benefits, family allowances, social assistance, and integration services for newcomers.

Inbound and Outbound Links

Inbound Links:

Outbound Links:

Posted in Moving tips

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *